Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 18
Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
WHO WE ARE?
FoRB Romania is a community of scholars and practitioners in the field of social sciences, law and theology concerned with the general field of human rights and in particular Freedom of Religion or Belief (FoRB).
FoRB Romania is open to anyone who aims to contribute to the promotion of freedom of religion or belief in Romania and worldwide.
FoRB Romania aims to monitor and intervene in the public debate to defend international values, principles and standards in the field of Freedom of Religion of Belief (FoRB) in line with democratic requirements, advocating for:
We advocate for a society open to the vocation of the people and marked by democratic values, such as pluralism, dignity and solidarity.
We exclude any form of discrimination on religious grounds, fundamentalism, extremism, xenophobia, Islamophobia and anti-Semitism.
Mission and vision
Our mission is to make the general public aware of the compatibility between religious freedom and democracy.
FoRB Romania aims to monitor and intervene in the public debate in order to defend international values, principles and standards in the field of religious freedom in line with democratic requirements, advocating for:
- Access of all, regardless of faith or ethnicity, to the free and unrestricted exercise of religious freedom
- Neutrality of the state in matters of religious life;
- Respecting the autonomy of religious organizations;
- Proportionality of financing religious life;
We aim to monitor:
- Cases of violations of the principles of religious freedom;
- Proportionality of financial support for religious life;
- National and international legislative changes that affect religious freedom;
- The geopolitical approach of the state within the international networks for the promotion of religious freedom;
- The degree of application by public authorities of international standards in the field of religious freedom.
We aim to contribute to boosting the literacy of the population in the field of freedom of religion or belief.
FoRB Romania is committed to achieving broad acceptance of freedom of religion or belief as a democratic and fundamental human.
Freedom of Religion or Belief (FoRB) is the right of any person to believe, speak and act – individually and in community with others, in private and in public – in accordance with their understanding of ultimate truth.